Industrial Dispute – Strike Break

If you are absent for a day or more due to a trade dispute the period will not count for pension purposes unless you elect to pay Additional Pension Contributions (APCs) to purchase the amount of pension lost during that period of absence. The amount of pension lost is calculated as the appropriate fraction of your assumed pensionable pay for that period of absence (i.e. 1/49th of your assumed pensionable pay if you were in the main section of the scheme or 1/98th if you were in the 50/50 section).

The cost of purchasing the amount of lost pension for the period of absence would be met fully by you; your employer does not make a contribution to the APC.

If you have membership of the LGPS before 1 April 2014 you will have built up benefits in the final salary scheme. If you choose to pay for the lost pension in the scheme the amount you pay will go towards covering the protections associated with the pre 1 April 2014 membership.

To make an election you will need to:

Know the amount of pay you lost due to absence.  Your employer should provide this figure.

Decide how long you wish to pay over, or whether this will be by a one off lump sum.

Get a quote from the LGPS modeller at – Additional Pension Contributions – using the ‘Buy lost pension’ option.

Print off a copy of application form and return to your employer, this must be received within 30 days of your return to work.  It is advisable to check that the application has been actioned, by your employer.

For further information please read our factsheet – Absence due to a Trade Dispute – Strike Action (PDF 153KB).