Members Guide to Making a Complaint
There are times when Scheme members, employers and the administering authority may find themselves in disagreement about a pension issue. The first approach in such situations is for those involved to talk to each other to reach resolution. However, should this not prove possible, the Borough Council has established an Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure (IDRP).
Our commitment to deal with complaints
- Treat all complaints seriously and deal with them efficiently
- Resolve complaints promptly and informally wherever possible
- Learn from our mistakes and take action to improve our service
- Listen to our customers and value their views
What should members do if they have a complaint?
Contact the Pension Section by one of the following ways.
Telephone: 01244 976000
Or write to:
Cheshire Pension Fund,
Cheshire West & Chester Council,
4 Civic Way,
What action does the Cheshire Pension Fund take once they recieve a complaint?
The complaint is recorded and referred to a Nominated Complaint Contact.
What does the Nominated Complaint Contact do?
- They investigate the complaint to establish the nature of the issue
- Identify cause and immediate solutions
- Identify preventative action/process changes to ensure that the error is not repeated
- Contact members within 5 working days explaining the investigation and actions
- Provide written responses confirming the findings and agreed resolution(s)
The disagreement may be in relation to benefit entitlement or a dispute about rules or the administration of the Scheme. The Cheshire Pension Fund will seek to clarify or put right any misunderstanding or inaccuracies as quickly and efficiently as possible for members. Most problems are resolved this way and can be easily explained or put right.
What action can members take if they’re still dissatisfied?
If a member is still dissatisfied they have the right to have the complaint independently reviewed under the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP). See link below for further information on IDRP.
Further information is available via the following links
- Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure
- Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure – Application Form (PDF 139KB)
- Pensions Ombudsman
- Pensions Regulator
- Pensions Tracing Service